Monday, May 12, 2014

Most Likable Game of Thrones Characters



This is my last post on Game of Thrones - at least for a while. Over at Pop Trends I wrote a piece about the most odious characters inthe series and another one on the most overrated ones. Here, I wrote about themost underrated. To complete my posts, I want to create a last list - the most likable characters in the series.

Now, I should note that in this list I'm not talking about the BEST characters, as most other writers focus on. The highly subjective idea of "best" is ambiguous and leaves much to be desired. Often, for example, Tyrion and Arya are referred to as the "best" characters in the series. What are they best at? Tyrion isn't the best  looking or the best fighter. He's clever, but he's not the best strategies. His machinations are solid, but other characters surpass him. But he's funny and he slaps Joffrey twice. Does that make him "the best"? What about Arya? She's adventurous and brave and courageous. But she's nowhere near as good at swordplay as.. almost anyone else. She's not clever in tactics or strategy, and while she does prove that she is resourceful when it comes to staying alive, she has had a hard time actually accomplishing anything. Does that make her "the best"?

I should think that when people create "bests" list, what they really mean is "who I like the most". In that spirit, let me create a similar one. Rather than who *I* like, I will create a list of characters who have the most likable traits. It's not about "my favorites" as much as "which characters have the most appeal and why".

There is a problem, however, and that is that there aren't very many truly likable characters. So let's make do with what we have.


AryaStark

Arya is courageous and adventurous. She is resourceful and clever, and knows how to stay alive. Although she may be too awesome for someone her age, thus being almost fake. But she really is someone I could have seen myself hanging out with back in my school days. Most of my friends were actually like her - a bunch of ruff and tumble kids who played pretend soldier / wrestling / whatever. She reminds me of my old friends from school. Thus why she's in the list.

Samwell Tarly

You know that nerdy kid from college who always knew all the answers but was not a snob? The one who you always hung out with and even tho he was a bit socially awkward he was still fun at parties? The one who, when you needed someone there, always had your back? That's Sam. He may not be the best fighter, in fact he may be a coward, but he's the smartest and most well-read Night Watch man and a stalwart friend. He is, to me at least, actually more likable than Generic Action Hero John Snow.

Tyrion and Bronn

Alone, they can be a bit obnoxious. Their sense of humor might not be appealing to everyone, Tyrion's machinations might get people on edge, and Bronn's attitude might come across as disdain. But when they're together, there aren't any other two fictional characters that I would rather go have a drink with. Their interesting conversations and witty banter always manage to make people laugh. They're not by any means the "best" characters, nor are they my personal favorites (that title goes to Ned Stark who shares it with Mormont the Friendzoned), but they really are the most likable duo.

Hot Pie  

He reminds me of me back when I was a kid. Kind to everyone and always trying to be nice to everyone. 
Animal shaped pie



And that's it. There are a few other interesting and likable characters - Robb, Ned, Brienne, and some others are characters that we find ourselves rooting for. Renly is the "good" king, Ygritte the "good" wildling, and Hodor is Hodor (as Osha says, he's a lovable giant). But those are mostly likable in an unremarkable sort of way. They are the cookie-cutter good guys, and honestly to me that's not enough. They need a bit more depth to be truly likable. That depth is what the above characters have.

And because, you know, Hot Pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment