Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Quick Comment on Disney's Infinity 2.0


Infinity Toy Box Mode

As a parent, possibly the best investment I have made in a video game is Disney's Infinity 2.0.

When the first Disney's Infinity came out, I was skeptical. The Toy Box mode seemed very limited, and the fact that I could not use characters from one set on the playset from another world. Not being able to use Ralph from Wreck-it Ralph in the Pirates of the Caribbean world was seriously disappointing.  Infinity 2.0 followed in the same tradition, but at least it has playsets that both my kids and I like. 

I bought Infinity 2.0 on Black Friday and lost interest in it fairly quickly. I beat the main mission mode in a couple of hours, played around in Toy Box worlds made by others, and tried to make my own Toy Box world. Ultimately, everything became lackluster.

But my 7 year old loves it. He's specially fascinated by the Toy Box mode.

To my kid, there are few things as fun as building things. He has always liked Lego sets (although he loses interest when he can't find a piece) and likes putting together Hot Wheels tracks. His favorite game before he tried Infinity 2.0 was the Minecraft Creation Mode. Now that he has Infinity 2.0, he can use the Toy Box (which is more powerful than the one from 1.0) to build worlds and race tracks as he wants, and he has made some pretty cool tracks with it. 

Certainly, the Toy Box is no game making engine. However, the way in which it behaves is reminiscent of UDK and RPG Maker - you build a world, you create events, and you play in and share your creations. Certainly, it's a simple maker. You can only make action stages, exploration stages, or racing stages, and you can't make any assets of your own. However, this tool empowers kids to create their ideal Disney Worlds and play in them. Think of it as a game engine with training wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment